Why Toxin-Free Nail Polish is so Important

Why Toxin-Free Nail Polish is so Important

Dazzle Dry is a proudly non-toxic nail polish, making it safe to use and free of harsh chemicals. Why is this so important? Regular nail polish is packed with potentially harmful chemicals that can damage your health.

Yes, nail polish is used externally. No, this does not mean our bodies won’t be affected by the toxins in them. In fact, a study done at Duke University and the Environmental Working Group indicate that our bodies absorb at least one harmful chemical every time we get a manicure with nail polish that is not toxin-free. Some of the chemicals can enter our bloodstream within as little as two hours of application.

Unless the brand states otherwise, toxins will be found in all regular nail polish. Many popular nail polish brands contain harmful toxic chemicals, including:

  • Formaldehyde – a fluid often used to preserve dead bodies. It is used in nail polish to as a preservative and to harden and strengthen the polish, and can cause allergic reactions and skin irritations. Studies have shown that repeated exposure to this chemical is linked to the development of leukaemia and can initiate or encourage the growth of tumours.

  • Toluene – derived from petroleum and used to make the polish stick to the nail and create a smooth finish. Too much exposure to toluene can cause damage to the nervous system and cognitive function, and is also linked to anaemia, liver, and kidney damage. Breathing in toluene is especially harmful for pregnant women as exposure can cause birth defects.

  • Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) – A man-made plasticiser and endocrine disrupter. Used in nail polish to make it flexible and to keep it from going brittle. It can cause irritation to the eyes and lungs, and is the chemical in nail polish that is most frequently tied to reproductive issues. It also has links to liver and kidney damage, and increased risk of cancer.

  • Triphenyl phosphate (TPP) – Used to reduce flammability and help nail polish stick to the nail. This chemical can interfere with reproductive and developmental processes.
  • Camphor – Used to give nail polish a glossy finish. It can trigger skin irritations and allergic reactions, and like the above chemicals, inhalation can cause dizziness, headaches, and nausea.

These are the toxins commonly used in nail polish, but the list does not stop there. Regular nail polish is filled with potentially damaging chemicals that can be absorbed by the body and harmful cause short-term and long-term side effects.

Make the switch to Dazzle Dry nail polish to stay clear of these harmful chemicals.


Older Post Newer Post